Saturday 31 January 2015

31st January 2015


So the last chance for the remaining crews to get their cars scrutineered today and we were given a great place to undertake this task, under one of the reception arches of Raffles, this exclusive use of the area is proving an annoyance to the worlds rich and famous with untold new bentleys and Lamborghinis being turned away to make way for our hilux!

It's been a long day, 1st problem of the day was the SS from yesterday with yet another fuel problem, it seemed to have dumped all the new fuel obtained yesterday due to some iffy fitted unions, so much fuel is now on the floor of the raffles car park that they will have to reprint some of the White lines as they are now gone!  Other problems have been repairing a starter motor, fitting yet more mudflaps, a clutch and steering problem on a volvo Amazon, not Ludvigs I may add, we even repaired a leaking Jerry can for Paul merryweather so a good but extremely hot day, now on the lookout for the competitors whom haven't returned our borrowed tools.
We are in Raffles, the iconic colonial hotel with Michelin starred chefs and all manner of exotic eateries so we decided to have a McDonalds for lunch, and it didn't cost a quadzillion pounds to eat there!

We are so classy!
Just off to the competitors briefing now and there is a strict blue shirt rule so I'm going the extra mile and actually ironing my shirt, it's quite thick and in these temperatures I imagine this pale blue shirt will become dark blue in certain areas, probably within 3 seconds of leaving the air conditioned room!

So arrive at the briefing, darkened patches have arrived but a last minute issue with a mercedes window fallen out meant I had to work in my pants as I have limited clothing and didn't want to get my recently ironed shirt dirty and my shorts were of the smart variety, so a semi naked fat mechanic outside the main entrance to Raffles hotel surrounded by mega rich tourists was definitely not a normal sight!  I never had being a skimpily clad Adonis outside an iconic landmark being on my bucket list but I retrospectively put it in now and have a massive tick next to it, oh and the mercedes is fixed!

Mercedes fixed and duties done it's now off to the the welcome dinner, Owen and I decided to go sit in a competitors table just to mix it up a bit and ended up having a great time, I had heard that Owen had given a talk on behalf of the mechanics and for what I'm told it was simply brilliant, I don't think any of the competitors will be taking the piss out of the sweeps after that, either Owen has now laid the foundations for a brilliant relationship with the competitors or we are about to have a four week holiday as they will be too scared to ask us for anything!
Last part of the night was spent in a bar called Lock, stock and a barrel, much cheaper beer here but a relatively early night now ready for the big off tomorrow!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment